It is 8:30 am as I drink a final glass of water before surgery #2 and reflect upon the last month and a half.
- I got the breast cancer diagnosis on January 7, 2013.
- Had lumpectomy on January 29, 2013.
- Met my naturopathic oncologist, Dr. Matt Pyatt, on February 5, 2013.
- Found out on February 11, 2013 that the surgeon did not take enough out and I would require a second surgery. Also found out that the cancer in my body responds to hormones.
- Began a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Group on February 13, 2013.
- Had my first IV vitamin C therapy on February 14, 2013.
It was at the MBSR group that I really began to reflect. Another lady there, whom I happened to sit beside is dealing with breast cancer for the second time. She went on to tell me how she refused chemotherapy and radiation the first time and will again. I immediately felt connected to her. She then went on to ask me about my treatment plan and that is when I realized I don’t even have one yet.
I don’t have a treatment plan!
Reflecting now, I am wondering a whole lot of things.
If this cancer is hormone receptive then why have I not yet been started on hormone therapy?
More importantly, why have I not yet been referred to an oncologist?
Why have I not been hooked up to the resources that everyone else has?
As you probably know, I am looking at every alternative to chemotherapy and radiation that I can. That being said, I do want to hear the oncologists out. I plan to know the benefits, success rates, and downfalls of every treatment and make a decision from there. The problem is, I still don’t have access to the information!
So today, right now, I am preparing myself to go to the hospital for surgery #2 and I have a couple of goals.
- Get it all! Well I guess this is my goal for the surgeon not me, but still important!
- Stay calm and positive.
- Get my questions answered.
Overall, I am feeling very positive about things. I am confident that today will go well. Your support, prayers, love, and thoughts mean the world to me. Please keep it coming!